Wrongful Death Litigation
The death of a loved one takes an obvious emotional toll on you and your family, but it often takes a financial toll as well. It can be overwhelming to attend to all of the details such as insurance policies, bank statements, bills, asset titles, wills, and other documents trying to figure out how the loss of your loved one will affect you and your family going forward. Loss of future income, and often medical bills incurred by your loved one before he or she passed away from injury suffered in an accident may be concerns you are dealing with.
When you lose a loved one through someone else’s negligence, recklessness, or malpractice, Illinois law says you may be entitled to monetary compensation. Among the damages you may be able to recover include:
- Medical bills from the injury or malpractice that you’re loved one incurred before passing
- Loss of the relationship with your loved one, also known as a loss of consortium
- Funeral expenses
- Grief, sorrow, and mental suffering
- Loss of economic support
We’re Here To Help
Palermo Law Group is here to help you recover compensation for the wrongful death of a loved one. We are here to help shoulder some of the burden so that your family can focus on recovering. We can help with accident or malpractice investigations, gathering evidence to support your claim, explaining insurance policies and coverage, appealing disputed or denied insurance claims, negotiating settlements, and filing lawsuits in Illinois courts.
We offer a free consultation during which we will explain what a wrongful death claim is, what types of compensation you may be able to recover, what your rights are as a wrongful death beneficiary, and what the process will be if you decide to pursue a claim. We are here to help you every step of the way.
- Mr. Palermo obtained $1.3 million dollars for an airline employee who was helping to load mail when a worker drove a cart into his work station. Mr. Palermo was able to show that the worker violated company protocols by pulling too many carts.
- Mr. Palermo obtained $800,000 for the family of 63-year-old woman who died as a result of a negligently performed gallbladder removal surgery.
- Mr. Palermo obtained $400,000 for a 28-year-old woman from Aurora, Illinois that was the victim of a hit-and-run driver. The driver of the van denied that he had any involvement in causing the crash. By way of technology, the drivers identity was verified.
- In Danville, Illinois jury awarded Mr. Palermo's Champaign client $372,000 for a fall on ice at a gas station. The jury rejected the gas station's argument that the ice accumulation was simply an "act of God", that it was not responsible for taking care of.
- Mr. Palermo obtained $990,000 for an 81-year-old man from Romeoville, Illinois that was T-boned in an intersection by a cement truck.
- Mr. Palermo resolved the case of a central Illinois factory worker who was sexually harassed by a coworker for $477,000.
- Mr. Palermo obtained $1,000,000 for a 53-year-old truck driver who was struck in the face by a 4 x 4 thrown by and unobservant railroad worker.
- Mr. Palermo obtained $1,000,000 for a 64-year-old surveyor struck by a driver who initially told police that she simply "witnessed" the accident and that the culprit fled the scene. It turned out she was driving the vehicle that struck a pedestrian.
- Mr. Palermo helped recover $2,300,000 for a group of DuPage County homeowners who lived adjacent to a factory that recklessly handled a toxic chemical known as "Trichloroethylene."